Welcome to the web site of the Mercer Free School (MFS). We are located in/near Mercer County, NJ and share our self-motivated learning experience without worrying about money. Our activities are of various types, including traditional classes/workshops, forums, club-like activities, and self-guided projects. Actually, when someone starts thinking about a free project involving other people, that could be our next activity.
- Anyone can participate in any activity, as long as there is no space or other safety/regulatory issues are involved.
- Anyone can facilitate an activity; no qualification is required, as long as no other safety/regulatory issues are involved.
- No money is involved (except for some material and other cost for certain activities). Activity participation is free. Facilitators do not get paid. No monetary donation is accepted. The school has no budget.
- The school has no physical space. Many of our activities take place at the Mercer County Library System (MCLS) or the Lawrence Community Center (run by HomeFront). In other cases, activities may take place at other public spaces, facilitators' own space, or even cyberspace (i.e., on-line).
- This school started in 2010 and hosted a number of activities. Though, there are slow times as well. In fact, the notion of "free school" has not yet settled in the minds of many people (but for a very successful case, check out Free Skool Santa Cruz). However, since no operating cost is involved, we can still continue to exist as long as we are committed to it. Please consider taking part now and spread the word!
- For more information about the school, also visit this page about us.
- To see the list of activities, visit our activities page and calendar page. Further information for activity participants and potential facilitators is available on our participants page and our facilitators page, respectively.
- If you are interested in free local activities, free schools (and "free skools") in other areas, local businesses/organizations, and other relevant/interesting information, visit our links page.
- To receive occasional announcements in a timely manner, please sign up for our mail list. For event photos and daily link to a relevant/interesting article, please visit our Facebook page. Relevant short essays of ours can be found on our blog site.
- Help wanted: You can help us in many ways. For example, it would be great if someone can print and post our flyers at libraries and other places (publicity materials are in the subfolder called "tools2") and/or distribute a few copies of our newsletters. You can also help us organize the school and/or improve our web site (e.g., editing).
- If you have a question, comment, and/or suggestion, please contact us.